[SystemSafety] Fwd: "Protected" Environments

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Mon Nov 12 09:42:02 CET 2018

On 12/11/2018 05:46, Bruce Hunter wrote:

<snip>

> People also are very cunning and the instigators of advanced and
> persistent threats.

Back in the late 1980s I worked on security for one of the earliest card
payment systems to use RSA crytptography. With a colleague, I wrote the
security procedures for the key registry. After that, I attended a
progress meeting at which a senior project manager raised the need for
physical penetration testing and asked if anyone had any expertise in
it. I raised my hand and told the meeting that I was moderately skilled
in breaking and entering. A frisson ran around the table and the manager
then asked me if it would be too embarrassing to ask how I had acquired
this expertise. There was a huge audible sigh of relief around the table
when I replied, "A mis-spent youth at a public school."

Later that week, I started arriving at work in a business suit, changing
into a boiler suit, and then going around with what amounted to a kit of
housebreaking tools seeing what I could break into. At one point I
dismantled half of the wall of an allegedly secure room using just a
Swiss army knife. I also managed to enter a computer room by removing
floor tiles and crawling in the the floor void. Thence, via an
air-conditioning duct, I got to a point directly beneath the key
registry's hardware rack. I could actually put my hand on the lower
casing of the encryption equipment. Had I been a real attacker, I could
have burned though the casing with an acid gel and directly tapped the
equipment's motherboard.

If Bank computer centres are still like that, you'd be safer, IMO.
keeping your money in a sock under your bed.

Olwen