[SystemSafety] multi-core validation for aerospace

Tom Ferrell tom at faaconsulting.com
Wed Nov 14 12:32:13 CET 2018

Concerning this topic in civil aviation:  The current multi-core guidance from both the FAA and EASA cannot be viewed in isolation,  Both regulators have additional guidance for dealing with COTS microcontrollers.  While it used to be the case that a microprocessor could be 'accepted' without further compliance demonstration IFF the software test program was conducted on target such that the processor's suitability could be inferred through this test exposure, those days are over for all but the most 'simple' microprocessors.  The additional guidance relates to handling of device errata, levels of change control, service experience in the market, and targeted verification to prove unused capabilities are benign.