[SystemSafety] Collected stopgap measures

Nick Tudor njt at tudorassoc.com
Fri Nov 16 12:56:46 CET 2018

Neat summary Martyn.

I have been working this for a few years now and getting close to a
solution (note: 'a' solution; there will be others).

The issue seems to be the pressure to get something apparently 'working'
asap, which drives the inevitable behaviour of software teams ( i hope this
is not new to most).  So the commercial case is what it's all about rather
than the engineering case.  Many of the threads recently have expressed
frustration about why the great and good have not been listened to and we
still have rubbish (...unsafe...?...insecure...?...late?....costly?...pick
your favourite!...) software; and IMO it's because of the commercial case.
So the trick is do to something that, from an engineering perspective is
sound, but makes the commercial case.  If I can show that an approach saves
time (which apparently equals money), then the software engineer has no
excuse to not use that approach.  This is and will remain a very hard case
to sell initially as everyone points to the lack of track record.  Once
that inertia is overcome, then....

As I said, ...working on it...

Nick Tudor
Tudor Associates Ltd