[SystemSafety] Collected stopgap measures

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Fri Nov 16 14:58:49 CET 2018

Derek,

³The lesson to learn here is that successful software does not need basic
requirements of a professional engineering design process.²

I agree that software can be delivered even if the process that built it
lacked many of the elements of a professional engineering design process.
Sure, there are thousands and thousands of data points supporting that. It
is Standard Operating Procedure across the industry. But that is not what
we should focus on.

"Where is the discussion of economics and the primary purpose of writing
software, i.e., maximize return on investment?"

Yes, again I agree fully. However, shouldn¹t we be asking this:

Could that same software have been delivered faster, cheaper, and with
higher quality if it had been built using a professional engineering
design process?

The real-world data I have says yes.

‹ steve