[SystemSafety] Collected stopgap measures

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Fri Nov 16 18:12:43 CET 2018

“What was the percentage difference in costs and development time?”

As I said, development time was cut in about half and development cost
also cut in about half (because project staffing was the same as if were
going to be done the mainstream way).

E.g., an estimated 14 month project was done with the same staffing as
would have been used for the mainstream equivalent but delivery happened
in 7 months.

E.g., an estimated 30 month project was done with the same staffing as
would have been used for the mainstream equivalent but the delivery
happened in 15 months.

In one specific case, the original system had been built using an
engineering approach. 15 years later, a critical component of the software
had to be re-done because of a change to the external system I interfaced
with. The organization allocated 4 people and estimated one year for the
re-write. The re-write was actually accomplished in 6 weeks.

― steve