[SystemSafety] Collected stopgap measures

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Mon Nov 19 17:10:02 CET 2018

On 18/11/2018 14:10, Derek M Jones wrote:
> <snip>

> Models based on lines are code contain a large amount of uncertainty
> because the is a lot of uncertainty about the number of lines of code
> produced when different people/groups implement the same
> functionality (in the same language):
> http://shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com/2013/09/20/how-many-ways-of-programming-the-same-specification/

<snip>

 From a methodological standpoint, it would be better if we were to work
with agreed formulations of Kolmogorov complexity (see Wikipedia) than
measures that simply count constructs in code.

Perhaps this is fanciful but I'm inclined to think that competitions
along the lines of the obfuscated C contests should be held to
crowd-source estimates of Kolmogorov complexity for specified functions.

Olwen