[SystemSafety] Critical systems Linux

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Wed Nov 21 11:16:13 CET 2018

On 2018-11-21 10:52 , Paul Sherwood wrote:

>> What I thought I was reading from contributors to this discussion was
>> that there are certain things,
>> such as microkernels or OS elements, which are "certified" as SEooC.
>> That is, an SEooC is a concrete
>> thing which comes with a certificate of some sort.
>
> Just picking two examples...
>
> https://www.highintegritysystems.com/safertos/

Yes, well, the famous TÜV-Süd "certificates". The advert says "Available pre-certified to IEC
61508-3 SIL 3 by TÜV SÜD" and of course there is no such concept as "pre-certified to ... SIL 3".

What it means is that TÜV Süd (those last two letters are lower-case) has investigated the system
and says that it can be used in certain ways with certain properties which TÜV has claimed to have
established to a certain "systematic capability". Since much of the evidence TÜV Süd will have
looked at is IP, you as a user don't get all the required evidence for your safety case. TÜV just
says "trust us" and many assessors do.

It is a way of hiding IP when you would otherwise have to bare all for each application.

> http://blackberry.qnx.com/en/company/certifications

That is certified to ISO 9001. Quite a different kettle of fish.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon