[SystemSafety] Critical systems Linux

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Wed Nov 21 15:00:18 CET 2018

<snip>

> What it means is that TÜV Süd (those last two letters are lower-case)
> has investigated the system and says that it can be used in certain
> ways with certain properties which TÜV has claimed to have established
> to a certain "systematic capability". Since much of the evidence TÜV
> Süd will have looked at is IP, you as a user don't get all the
> required evidence for your safety case. TÜV just says "trust us" and
> many assessors do.

<snip>

Esterel's SCADE tool has been certified for use in safety-critical
applications by one TuV but I've worked on a machine safety project in
which another TuV appeared to discourage its use because, AFAI recall,
they felt uneasy about the fitness-for-purpose of the generator that it
used to create C code from system models.

Perhaps TuVs should print the certificates on toilet paper?

Olwen