[SystemSafety] Critical systems Linux

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Wed Nov 21 19:01:28 CET 2018

Just to be clear, I wasn't casting aspersions on SCADE but on the
situation in which one TuV looks askance at something to which another
TuV gives qualified approval. As it happened, SCADE was a steam hammer
to crack a nut on the machine safety project to which I referred. It
ended up using Coloured Petri-Nets instead.

TuV Sud had issued the certification (subject to assessment of
fitness-for-purpose on a case-by-case basis) and it was TuV Rheinland
that looked askance at it. I gathered at the time (maybe mistakenly)
that TuV Rheinland is more familiar with safety of machinery
applications than is TuV Sud and possibly thereby brought a somewhat
more rigorous point of view to bear on the matter.

I'm not a huge fan of SCADE but that's just a personal foible. Thinking
in terms of Petri-Nets comes easier to me than does thinking in terms of
temporal logic.

Olwen