[SystemSafety] Critical systems Linux

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Thu Nov 22 13:05:47 CET 2018

On 2018-11-22 11:47 , Olwen Morgan wrote:

> On 21/11/2018 14:14, Tom Ferrell wrote:
>> This qualification is based on the fact that KCG is built on a formal language, LUSTRE. The proofs
>> accomplished to demonstrate the model to code conversion have been looked at repeatedly and found
>> to be complete and correct in all cases that I am aware of.
>
> There is, of course, a massive problem with the proof, namely that the target language C does not
> have formal semantics.
I wouldn't categorise this as a "massive problem". It is an issue that is and was well-recognised.

The question is rather more direct than whether any given PL has a "formal semantics". Put bluntly:
for any code X which your code-generator generates; does X have an unambiguous behavioural semantics?

The answer from people familiar with the SCADE subset told me a while ago that yes, it looks as if
it does. There are lots of ifs and buts involved with this, of course.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon