[SystemSafety] Critical systems Linux

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Thu Nov 22 17:27:07 CET 2018

> <snip>

> ... accurate microprocessor arithmetic is a complex thing in itself for which Kahan won the Turing Award and Jerry Coonen got his PhD.

Indeed. Floating-point arithmetic errors weren't hard to find in the
days before microprocessors acquired hardware floating-point units. NAG
published some terrific howlers that their tests had come across. Then,
of course, there was the famous Pentium long division bug (PENTIUM =
_P_roduces _E_rroneous _N_umbers _T_hrough _I_ncorrect _U_nderstanding
of _M_athematics).

AFAI recall, Kahan relied quite heavily on work by Cody and Waite to
find errors in implementations of the elementary functions:

Cody, W. J. Jr. and Waite, W, "Software Manual for the Elementary
Functions", Prentice Hall, 1980

It's a cracker of a book and gives what, AFAI am aware, is the original
FORTRAN implementation of the machar function to be found translated
into C in Kahan's paranoia. Brian Wichmann and his colleagues also used
it for tests of numerical accuracy in the 1981 Pascal Compiler
Validation Suite.

Ah ... happy days ... :-)