[SystemSafety] Operational logging for medical devices

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Mon Nov 26 14:14:49 CET 2018

Aircraft have flight recorders and I've worked on software a neonatal
ventilator that had operational logging. One thing that bothered me is
that the rest of the engineers in the company often said of the logging
that it was not safety-critical and therefore didn't need to be
developed as strictly as the bits that controlled the air flow to the
patient.

With modern solid-state storage devices, it is straightforward to write
an operational log to non-volatile storage but AFAI can see (possibly
wrongly, please correct me if so) the medical device regulators seem to
look at it only in cases where it is deemed essential. Given that the
marginal cost of adding such logging is quite low, I'm inclined to think
that there should be a general presumption that logging is required
unless it is proven not to be needed.

Any views?

Olwen