[SystemSafety] Operational logging for medical devices

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Mon Nov 26 17:12:41 CET 2018

> On 2018-11-26 14:14 , Olwen Morgan wrote:
>> <snip>
> I suggest that operational logging is essential for any software for
> which reliability or safety is key. Furthermore, the design of such
> logging is not trivial if you want it to be trustworthy, although the
> implementation could well be straightforward when you have the design
> right. Or not.....

<snip>

When working on micro-controller applications, I've often suggested
putting logging functions into the code to log sensor readings on
acquisition and actuator settings on disposition. So far, I've not seen
any form of logging that is simpler than that, though whether that is
appropriate is highly application-dependent. Things get complicated when
you have to log to volatile memory for speed and can only catch up later
to write a block of readings to nonvolatile storage. Often that
betokens, IMO, poor choice of controller chip. You get firms being
penny-wise and pound-foolish - sometimes working to a target hardware
cost that has been set purely by accountants.

Olwen