[SystemSafety] Personal and corporate liabilities as a consequence of safety, security and other mistakes of similar importance

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Mon Oct 8 20:33:19 CEST 2018

Again the disclaimer about not being able to give legal advice, however
Cem Kaner is an actual lawyer and specializes in both software and product
liability law (See, for example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cem_Kaner).

Cem Kaner says that at least in the US there is a law called ³Uniform
Commercial Code² (UCC) that supersedes all license agreements on all
products. In spite of what a license agreement from the folks in Redmond
might claim, UCC is supposed to take precedence under something called the
³Warranty of Implied Merchantability². That essentially means that if you
are selling somethig then the buyer has the right to expect that it should
reasonably perform the services for which it was purchased‹and if it
doesn¹t then the supplier is liable for remedy.

It seems that the strategy of the corporate lawyers at software firms is
to make the consumer think they don¹t have rights they actually do have
under UCC and thus not seek remedy even though they could easily have the
legal right to do so.

It¹s not at all clear how this would apply in the Free & Open Source
Software arena because the user didn¹t actually pay anything.

‹ steve