[SystemSafety] Engineering-scientific literature

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 01:02:36 CEST 2018

On 08/10/2018 at 10:34 PM, "Tim Schürmann" <tschuerm at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>after reading a lot of the mails during the last years, i would
>like to
>ask for some suggestions where
>
>'Engineers in Training' should start with their less-formal
>(meaning
>outside university) education?
>
>Could you, as experienced professionals, for example suggest some
>literature?

Hi Tim,

Books that probably ought to be on your bookshelf (at least until you
take them down to read and reference) are:-

'Better Embedded Systems Software' by Phil Koopman

'The Engineering of Reliable Embedded Systems (2nd Ed)' by Michael
J. Pont

'Handbook of Walkthroughs, Inspections, and Technical Reviews: Evaluating
Programs, Projects and Products' by Daniel P. Freedman and Geral M.
Weinberg.

'The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering' by Frederick P.
Brooks Jr.

In addition to the above books, I would also suggest you find and read any
material you find by way of reports into why things went wrong with the
various systems that have led to disasters of some kind. There are plenty
of reports of the major reported incidents. Even Philip Koopman's and Michael
Barr's testimony to the court is available on-line (Toyota Unintende Accelleration).

I would also counsel that you begin to consider how you would specify, inspect
and test your software as though it was a fully described hardware component,
and continue in that vein of development gathering yourself a personal library
of software components that you know will work to their published limitations.
It means making sure you have a clear data-sheet for each individual software
component that lists its functionality, environmental preferences and limitations
of use. Documenting your software that well initially takes time, but saves you
time in the very long run.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer
Lunar Mission One Ambassador
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: Due to relocation - new number TBA. Please use Mobile.