[SystemSafety] Comparison of Confidential vs Non-Confidential Reporting Systems

Eric Marsden eric.marsden at foncsi.org
Wed Oct 17 19:19:16 CEST 2018

On 17/10/2018 14:49, Mike Rothon wrote:
> I am looking for some recommended reading on the respective merits of
> confidential and non-confidential (open?) reporting systems with
> respect to 'safety events'.
>
> Aviation is one sector that has generally embraced the confidential
> reporting approach, whilst anecdotally I hear that it isn't (yet) used
> so widely in the medical sector.
>
> In general, I am trying to understand why it is considered to be
> beneficial for aviation, but not necessarily elsewhere.

The literature on this topic is a little fragmented, because different
industry sectors use different terms: operational experience feedback,
organizational learning, lessons learned analysis. Beyond aviation,
several high-hazard industry sectors have well-developed systems (and
favourable organizational cultures) for learning from experience,
including nuclear energy and offshore oil & gas.

I can suggest a hopefully practitioner-oriented overview on the
obstacles to learning from safety events, from a working group that I
have been involved in:

https://esreda.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/ESReDA-barriers-learning-accidents-1.pdf

I would suggest that it is useful to put in place *both* confidential
and non-confidential reporting (and -- important -- analysis & learning)
systems, and to link them with data that is often collected
automatically in modern systems. A reporting / learning culture is
necessary for the non-confidential experience feedback system to work
effectively, and changes in cultural features of organizations occur
only very slowly, but over time the confidential reporting mechanism
should be used less and less, and become almost a whistleblower channel
(almost because in the related literature, the term whistleblower refers
to someone who exhausts internal reporting channels and uses outside
channels such as the media or the regulator).

--
T: +33 663 82 75 26
Web: https://foncsi.org/