[SystemSafety] Comparison of Confidential vs Non-Confidential Reporting Systems

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 21:27:20 CEST 2018

There’s also the risk perception factor in play. Way back when the fledgling comair industry realized that air travel was perceived as being much more risky than travel by car (I think the ratio is around 7 to 1) so they needed to work harder in terms of dropping accident rates. A strong regulator was seen as an essential part of the effort of convincing the public about air safety. There’s some US senate testimony by airlines from the time that they welcomed a regulator and in fact desired the industry to be regulated.

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng
Mob: +61 488770655
Email; Mattsquair at gmail.com