[SystemSafety] Comparison of Confidential vs Non-Confidential Reporting Systems

Mike Rothon mike.rothon at certisa.com
Wed Oct 24 11:01:12 CEST 2018

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my message.

The responses were really insightful, and although I haven't completed
reading all the referenced material, those that I have are seriously
interesting.

One interesting point raised was that any reporting system
(confidential or non-confidential) relies on having a reporting and
learning culture in order to be effective. This may seem an obvious
requirement, but I am not sure that the two always go hand-in-hand.

Furthermore, part of the 'learning culture' is to strive to be
non-judgemental (or at least justly so) if possible.

My side interest in this is the role of social media groups / forums
etc. Views expressed on such forums may be more judgemental (and
sometimes less confidential) although one could argue that there is
still a strong 'learning' motive. Maybe these are making a strong
contribution to safety or maybe they are undermining formal systems
which have been refined over many years?

Mike