[SystemSafety] Transcending the bounds of sub-literacy

SPRIGGS, John J John.SPRIGGS at nats.co.uk
Wed Oct 24 11:05:16 CEST 2018

I have, on more than one occasion, been asked to translate documents ostensibly written in English into English  - and not all of them originated from authors for whom English is a second language...

> Once I even had a deadhick manager ask me to replace a sentence in one of my own documents with a construction that contained no verb!

I once had a paragraph in a document for a Scandinavian Customer replaced by such a manager, because, "They will not understand the way you put it".  When the Customer's review comments came back, they had highlighted that new paragraph asking for it to be rewritten "to correct the grammar".  They accepted the original paragraph...

John