[SystemSafety] Transcending the bounds of sub-literacy

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Thu Oct 25 04:08:57 CEST 2018

An college English professor of mine once said,

“Unclear writing is obvious evidence of unclear thinking”

That saying stuck with me ever since. I used to work for a guy who had a Ph.D. in physics but he couldn’t write a coherent description of the product we were selling. Neither could he write coherent code.

It’s been a repeating pattern, people who write crappy code also write crappy emails, technical briefs, etc.

So whether or not an engineer can understand the subtleties of Keats seems to me to be irrelevant. ANY engineer, software or otherwise, better be able to structure coherent, logical technical content. And if they have a software background and can also write good technical content, then they can probably write pretty good code.

So I would support a “Technical English for Engineers” class rather than always depending on the tech writers. Tech writers should be used for a final review, not to “translate technologese into English”.

I would also support having a candidate software engineer write a page or two paper on any topic of their choice because I would be able to see how clearly they think and can express their thoughts.

— steve

发自我的 iPad