[SystemSafety] A small taste of what we're up against

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 12:00:34 CEST 2018

Michael

That's a fair challenge, but where would the data come from? Fatal
accidents rarely lead top investigation of software defects as a
possible contributory factor, so there are very few automotive
fatalities that are publicly attributed to software defects; but I don't
want to conclude that this shows that automotive software development is
good enough. In the absence of causal data, it seems reasonable to
continue to eliminate avoidable risks.

The usual challenge then is "but show that the benefits justify the
costs".  However, the UK legislation (HSWA) is clear: there is a duty to
reduce risks "so far as is reasonably practicable" and if an employer
wants to claim that this has been done, then the burden of proof is on
the employer, not on those of us who are arguing the contrary opinion.

The employer would need to show that the cost of further risk reduction
would be "grossly disproportionate" to the benefits that would be
obtained. And in the case of vehicles being supplied for work-related
driving, the employer has the duty to carry out any necessary research.

(My understanding only - I'm not a qualified lawyer).

Martyn