[SystemSafety] A small taste of what we're up against

Phil Koopman phil.koopman at hushmail.com
Thu Oct 25 14:21:09 CEST 2018

I while back there was a discussion that amounted to asking where the
hard proof was that cars actually ship with deadly software defects.

I recently posted the results of a limited search of US automotive
recalls that are linked to software defects.  (The caveats are in the
notes after the list.)  In general, recalls only happen when there have
been incidents or loss events in sufficient numbers or of sufficient
severity to get regulator attention.  Determining the role of the
particular language used vs. all the other factors is of course not
easy, especially when seen through the lens of the automotive recall
reports.  But clearly there is room for improvement overall.

https://betterembsw.blogspot.com/2018/09/potentially-deadly-automotive-software.html

The list is long. It would be longer but I just haven't had the time to
go through much of the database.

In my experience software of older vehicles is usually in C. More
recently a lot of it is in Simulink or similar model based design (I'll
let others comment upon that topic if they like).

-- Phil Koopman