[SystemSafety] A small taste of what we're up against

Andy Ashworth andy at the-ashworths.org
Thu Oct 25 17:38:57 CEST 2018

		I guess my experience would be classed as pre-historic... I worked on engine management systems at  Rover between 1986 and 1990 and for Lucas in 1991... the realtime code I worked on was programmed in assembler (6800 and 8096) at Rover and PL/M 96 at Lucas.
Interestingly, the management at Rover was very progressive and was looking at process improvements that included static analysis, structured methods and enforced discipline with respect to configuration management/version control.
While at Rover, we subjected our code to analysis undertaken by PVL using the SPADE tool; we also developed in house configuration management tools using Modula 2 which ensured that every software build could be uniquely identified and its build “recipe” would be assuredly repeatable.
Rover management were also taking note of the work that eventually resulted in BS 6508 and the MISRA Guidelines.
My experience at Lucas was less positive
Andy

		Get Outlook for iOS

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:10 AM -0400, "Michael J. Pont" <M.Pont at SafeTTy.net> wrote:

Phil,

> In my experience software of older vehicles is usually in C. More recently a lot of it is in
> Simulink or similar model based design (I'll let others comment upon that topic if they like).

Even the Simulink models usually still up as C/C++ (using what used to be Real Time Workshop and is now - I think - called Coder).   As far as I'm aware, there isn't an Ada option ...

Michael.