[SystemSafety] A small taste of what we're up against

Dewi Daniels dewi.daniels at software-safety.com
Mon Oct 29 17:53:04 CET 2018

Agreed, there have been a number of incidents in which software has been
implicated. I listed 15 of these in a paper I wrote in 2011 (
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6136931), mostly based on your
excellent compendium at
http://www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de/publications/compendium/incidents_and_accidents/index.html.
My paper also listed the loss of the Airbus A330 flight test aircraft in
1994. Like you, I suspect there are others that are not in the public
domain.

I think that avionics software is unusual in that most of the incidents
have been due to requirements issues. The software implemented the
requirements as written, but the requirements specified unsafe behaviour in
some unforeseen circumstance. An example is the A320 accident in Warsaw in
September 1993, where a software interlock that had been intended to
prevent inadvertent deployment of reverse thrust and the spoilers in-flight
delayed their deployment for 9 seconds after the aircraft touched down in a
strong cross-wind.

In contrast, a much higher proportion of incidents with non-safety-related
software have been due to coding errors. Two examples of such coding errors
are:
1. The various buffer overflow vulnerabilities exploited in Internet
Explorer
2. The Apple SSL bug, where an extraneous goto meant that the software did
not check whether a certificate was valid (
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/02/24/anatomy-of-a-goto-fail-apples-ssl-bug-explained-plus-an-unofficial-patch/
)

John Rusby wrote an excellent paper on why he thinks that DO-178B has
worked so well (http://www.csl.sri.com/users/rushby/papers/emsoft11.pdf).

The in-flight upsets of a Boeing 777 and an Airbus A330 are very
interesting..

The in-flight upset of a Boeing 777 occurred on 1 August 2005 north-west of
Perth, Australia. The report can be downloaded from
https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24550/aair200503722_001.pdf. The problem
turned out to be in the Air Data Inertial Reference Unit (ADIRU) software.
An accelerometer had failed in 2001. The fault was not recorded in
Non-Volatile RAM, so the accelerometer was not replaced. In 2005, another
accelerometer failed, so the ADIRU used the previously failed accelerometer
instead, resulting in erroneous output which cause the aircraft to pitch
up. I don't know what programming language was used for the ADIRU software.
The report states that the ADIRU software was developed to DO-178A, which
predates DO-178B.

The in-flight upset of an Airbus A300 occured on 7 October 2008, west of
Learmouth, Australia,. The report can be downloaded from
https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/3532398/ao2008070.pdf.  There were multiple
spikes in the Angle Of Attack (AOA) output of an ADIRU (from a different
manufacturer). The investigators were unable to determine the reason for
these spikes (or even whether they were due to a hardware or a software
fault). These spikes kave only been observed three times in 128 million
hours of operation. A flaw in the design of an algorithm in the Flight
Control Primary Computer (FCPC) meant it was unable to cope with these
spikes, so it commanded the aircraft to pitch down. Airbus redesigned the
AOA algorithm to prevent the same type of accident from occurring again.
Again, I don't know what programming language was used for the ADIRU or
FCPC software. Again, the report states that the ADIRU and FCPC software
was developed to DO-178A. Also, the report states that the FCPC
requirements were written in a formal specification language called SAO.

Yours,

Dewi Daniels | Director | Software Safety Limited

Telephone +44 7968 837742 | Email d <ddaniels at verocel.com>
ewi.daniels at software-safety.com

Software Safety Limited is a company registered in England and Wales.
Company number: 9390590. Registered office: Fairfield, 30F Bratton Road,
West Ashton, Trowbridge, United Kingdom BA14 6AZ