[SystemSafety] A small taste of what we're up against

Brent Kimberley brent_kimberley at rogers.com
Tue Oct 30 20:48:08 CET 2018

>> Does anybody have any lifetime data for safety critical systems (don't forget the software goes away if the product is not a success).
Unless there are data retention/aging/roll-up policies, the life of the system and/or any surviving assets -- which ever is greater?
PASS 55ISO 55000...

    On Wednesday, October 24, 2018 7:11 AM, Derek M Jones <derek at knosof.co.uk> wrote:

 Thierry,

> - it increases the productivity and reduces the introduction of defects in the sources.
There is no evidence for any of these claims.

Programming language researchers like to think that the language
is the root of all problems.  The solution is of course more
research (i.e., funding) to find better languages.

I practice most developers don't read the language standard
and most coding mistakes are unrelated to developer knowledge
of language semantics, e.g., they are oversights, off
by one errors or cut-and-paste slip-ups.

> - the systems we build are long lived and the original developers have gone long ago, when maintenance/upgrades have to be performed. Again, easy-to-read languages provide a great advantage.

Most systems are short lived.  It is survivorship biases that makes
people think systems are long lived.

But my data is commercial data processing.  Does anybody have any
lifetime data for safety critical systems (don't forget the software
goes away if the product is not a success).

> I would define "easy-to-read" as "as close to unambiguous English as possible".
>
> Thierry

Derek M. Jones          Software analysis
tel: +44 (0)1252 520667  blog:shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com