[SystemSafety] New paper on MISRA C

David Ward david.ward at horiba-mira.com
Tue Sep 4 16:17:02 CEST 2018

As someone who has been involved with MISRA pretty much from the beginning I would like to correct a few misconceptions that have emerged in this thread.

MISRA started in the early 1990s as a collaborative project under the UK’s SafeIT programme funded by the (then) DTI and EPSRC.  Like any collaborative project this attracted grant funding which had to be matched by “in kind” contributions from the industrial partners.  In 1994 MISRA published “Development guidelines for vehicle based software” which took principles from the emerging IEC 61508 and applied them in the automotive context.  One of the specific recommendations in these guidelines was to use a subset of a standardized structured programming language.

During this collaborative project MISRA established a vision and mission statement.

Once the grant-funded project was complete, some of the industrial partners elected to continue working together on a self-funded basis and one of the first outcomes of this was the publication of MISRA C.  This arose from two automotive companies acknowledging it was better to have a single industry approach to a C subset than company specific guidelines.  I am not intending to start a debate about how MISRA C was developed but suffice it to say that people directly involved in developing the original version MISRA C are still around and have a different recollection of the events, process and sources that led to the publication of MISRA C compared to some of the opinions that have been expressed.

Once MISRA C was published support for automated checking quickly became available in a number of tools which led in turn to wider adoption outside the original automotive industry context.  MISRA therefore established a working group to continue developing MISRA C, and the subsequent revisions are developed by this working group operating under the auspices of MISRA.

More recently MISRA has revised the vision and mission statement acknowledging the wider industrial application and uptake of some of MISRA’s activities (particularly coding guidelines) and it is this revised mission statement that Roberto has quoted.

I hope this clarifies a few points.

Dr David Ward
MISRA Project Manager