[SystemSafety] New paper on MISRA C

Michael Holloway cmh at alumni.virginia.edu
Wed Sep 12 15:00:57 CEST 2018

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 8:18 AM Derek M Jones <derek at knosof.co.uk> wrote:

> Paul,

> >> Can you point me at the references for this assertion?
>
> I read this (and subsequent material) as saying that the correlation
> is not 100% (and some people think it is).
>
> I would certainly agree that it is not 100%.  But is it 50%, 25%?
> I don't think it is 0%.

Perhaps I am missing something but I do not see how this discussion makes
any sense.

Given a *specific* system, perhaps asking about the extent of correlation
between component reliability and system safety for *that one system* is a
coherent question. But the general question seems incoherent. For almost
any range of correlation coefficients, 'tis easy to imagine a realistic
(and perhaps even real) system for which the correlation between component
reliability and system safety falls within that range. I suspect most
members of this group could fairly quickly sketch a system to come close to
displaying  the maximum positive correlation coefficient (1), another
system displaying no correlation (0), and a third system the maximum
negative correlation (-1).

- cMh