[SystemSafety] New paper on MISRA C

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Wed Sep 12 17:05:35 CEST 2018

Folks,

I suggest the following characterisation is somewhat misleading:
> MIT and others have successfully debunked the notion that system safety is correlated with component reliability

Nancy says that many people still misidentify the property of safety with the property of
reliability and I believe she is right.

However, the international functional safety standard IEC 61508 identifies system safety explicitly
with the reliability of safety functions to mitigate hazards which pose a risk which is not
tolerable. A safety function is a component of a safety-related system (although it may be one whose
physical realisation is distributed across physical components and software). So IEC 61508 certainly
lays down as best practice that system safety is correlated with component reliability, namely
explicitly with those components which are safety functions.

Nancy's opposition to the intellectual architecture of IEC 61508 is well known here. She even
described it once in this list as "dangerous". However, increasingly many engineers in the world
working on civil safety-related systems nowadays have to comply with IEC 61508 or with one of its
so-called "derivatives".

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon