[SystemSafety] Component Reliability and System Safety

Paul Sherwood paul.sherwood at codethink.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 15:52:30 CEST 2018

On 2018-09-14 08:03, Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:
<snip>
>>> [Paul Sherwood, I think] Why is MISRA C still considered relevant to
>>> system safety in 2018?
>
> (Banal question? Banal answer!)

I'm sorry you consider my question banal. I mentioned your comment to an
eminent friend (who has had to deal with the human fallout from multiple
accidents) and he said "There are no banal questions about safety.
Anyone asking questions and interested in safety is to be applauded."

Are list members here normally prone to sniping at each other? Is the
community OK with that? I confess I can be quite harsh myself, but I try
to give new contributors the benefit of the doubt.

> Because many people use C for
> programming small embedded systems and
> adhering to MISRA C coding guidelines enables the use of static
> analysis tools which go some way
> (but not all the way) to showing that the code does what you have said
> you want it to do.

Those people could **just** use static analysis tools, and get the same
benefit. Your answer doesn't address the system safety part of my
question at all, afaict, but I found other answers more helpful in that
regard.

br
Paul