[SystemSafety] Candidates for the firing squad

Olwen Morgan olwen.morgan at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 20 16:32:39 CEST 2018

On 20/09/18 14:51, David Haworth wrote:
> These days, the name "static analysis" seems to have been misappropriated
> to cover the whole gamut of source code verification tools.

A few years ago, I gave a talk at a conference where I distinguished
between "static analysis" and "dynamic analysis", saying that static
analysis is analysis basically takes very little notice of all possible
executions and dynamic analysis tries to take account of all possible
executions. I was then jumped on by an extremely irritating academic
whose field was software testing and who said that the term "dynamic
analysis" had already been coined by testers to mean test coverage
measurement by code instrumentation.

Big deal.

Inapt use of terms is rife in software engineering. But we really do
need to distinguish the different kinds of capability that are currently
subsumed under the term "static analysis". Far too much of the
lumpenprogrammariat thinks that lint checks the static analysis box in a
process audit.

Olwen Morgan CITP, MBCS olwen.morgan at btinternet.com +44 (0) 7854 899667
Carmarthenshire, Wales, UK