[SystemSafety] Candidates for the firing squad

Olwen Morgan olwen.morgan at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 20 19:56:25 CEST 2018

On 20/09/18 17:31, Chris Hills wrote:

> Of course in a perfect wold  we would be using Modula 3 or Oberon.

Oh, what a glorious excuse for a tribal culture war about programming
languages!

Languages that I would/do prefer to C, depending on context of use, include:

1.    SPARK Ada without a runtime system but with all the SPARK tools,

2.    Erlang, if it were properly standardised, especially for telecoms
systems

3.    FORTH, for small embedded applications (love the minimalist
language concept)

4.    Tcl/Tk for GUIs (again, love the minimalist concept of the Tcl
compiler)

5.    CPN-ML compiled to native code for critical embedded apps (because
you can generate your code from a verified CPN model)

6.    Python (because we all need a language for quick-and-dirty hacks
at some time or other)

Who now DARES to gainsay these?

4-minute warning timer started,

PS: We do not live in a perfect wold and Chris, like me, is both a lousy
trypist and an even worse poofreader :-0