[SystemSafety] Another question

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 08:55:25 CEST 2018

On 21/09/2018 at 6:15 AM, "DREW Rae" <d.rae at griffith.edu.au> wrote:

[%X]

>Work is complex, and simple models of work often hide how success
>is achieved. For better or worse, one of the ways people write
>software is to write it quickly, see whether it does what it is
>meant to do, and then write it again. Feel free to disagree with
>this way of doing things, but you need better evidence that it is
>"waste" than simply that it involves rework.
>
>Drew

IBM did such an exercise with keyboard entry and found that the
average rate was 3% error. I am surprised if I, personally, get that
good.

However, let's go to the term "Right first time" and look at where
the scope of this should be focused. It does not mean that what
is translated from your fingertips to the product is perfect the first
time you enter the code. Nobody will ever be that good. The "Right
first time" ethos should, though, be seen as referring to the product
that is delivered to the client.

To get there, coding standards, intensely incisive reviews, testing
and inspections will all aid in achieving that goal.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer
Lunar Mission One Ambassador
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: Due to relocation - new number TBA. Please use Mobile.