[SystemSafety] Boeing 737 Max Problems with Faulty AoA sensing

Mumaw, Randall J. (ARC-TH)[SAN JOSE STATE UNIVERSITY] randall.j.mumaw at nasa.gov
Mon Apr 8 18:03:25 CEST 2019

I have also been pushing for a long time the idea that the interface needs to ensure there is flight crew awareness when there are
conflicts across air data sensors.  The 777 uses voting to select the "good" data when there are disagreements, but this does not ensure
that the accurate value is the one that gets through.
We have seen more than a few cases of the flight crew chasing bad airspeed data into an upset.

More generally, it seems there was little consideration here about how this failure was presented to the flight crew and how
they were supposed to respond to it.  For example, not even ensuring that the flight crew would be aware of sensor disagreements.

These views are contingent on further presentation of the facts of the case, and what, if any, analysis was done.

Randy

Randall J. Mumaw, Ph.D.

NASA Ames Research Center
Mail Stop 262-4