[SystemSafety] Duty of Care, and Hazard + Risk Analysis

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Thu Dec 5 06:58:41 CET 2019

A paper I wrote on what the common-law "duty of care" means for hazard and risk analysis of
safety-related E/E/PE systems (indeed for any safety-related systems) has been published in the
Digital Evidence and Electronic Signature Law Review volume 16 (an open-access journal of the School
of Advanced Studies at the Uni London). Available from the contents page
https://journals.sas.ac.uk/deeslr/issue/view/533

The journal is edited inter alia by a barrister, so it is not just jurisprudence. The case studies
in v16 are interesting, but not engineering-safety related.

I know that at least two common-law countries are very concerned about legal requirements on safety
engineering/safety engineers, namely the UK and Australia. I also know that France has a similar
legal constraint to that discussed here (Bertrand Ricque verified that with the French government
cybersecurity agency ANSSI). Oddly, some German engineering colleagues have opined that there is no
such constraint in German law. I don't find that plausible, but I haven't yet found a lawyer here
willing to educate me without wanting to charge an hourly rate .....  although there are one or two
of my acquaintance in the industry whom I haven't asked yet.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon