[SystemSafety] Putting Agile into a longer perspective

WALTER, Dariusz dariusz.walter at baesystems.com
Tue Dec 17 04:01:48 CET 2019

Oops, split thread. Got them. Thanks ☺

From: WALTER, Dariusz
Sent: Tuesday, 17 December 2019 2:00 PM
To: 'Olwen Morgan'; systemsafety at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Subject: RE: [Warning - External] [SystemSafety] Putting Agile into a longer perspective

Hi Olwen,

Would you care to share your ideas?

Best wishes,
Dariusz

From: systemsafety [mailto:systemsafety-bounces at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de] On Behalf Of Olwen Morgan
Sent: Tuesday, 22 October 2019 5:29 AM
To: systemsafety at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de

*** WARNING ***
EXTERNAL EMAIL -- This message originates from outside our organization.

Oh, dear. Why did this one crop up at a time when I felt like having a real rant at it ... ?

There are some very good things about Agile. The continuous integration devops processes that support it are extremely useful in critical systems development. But the demagogues of Agile are missing a critical matter in software technology. Agile practices ideally require means for developing software that are so powerful and efficient that if you've got the software wrong, it's still affordable to throw it away and start again. (Not an original thought - AFAI recall, Tony Hoare said something to similar effect back in the early 1980s.)

Agile will work only when we've made rigorous software development so streamlined that we can afford to throw incorrect systems away several times during the course of a project and yet still deliver within reasonable time and cost constraints.

Who is working to make such rigorous development cheap and efficient? ... I don't know of anyone who I think actually understands the essence of the problems enough to get going on a credible project. I've got some ideas on how one might make a start, but every time I speak to people about them, they appear to think I'm bonkers - and for all I know, maybe they're right.

plus ca change,

Olwen

This email has been sent on behalf of one of the following companies within the BAE Systems Australia group of companies:

BAE Systems Australia Limited - Australian Company Number 008 423 005
BAE Systems Australia Defence Pty Limited - Australian Company Number 006 870 846
ASC Shipbuilding Pty Limited - Australian Company Number 051 899 864

BAE Systems Australia's registered office is Evans Building, Taranaki Road, Edinburgh Parks, Edindurgh, South Australia, 5111.
ASC Shipbuilding's registered office is Level 2, 80 Flinders Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000.
If the identity of the sending company is not clear from the content of this email, please contact the sender.

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, do not copy or disclose its content, but please reply to this email immediately and highlight the error to the sender and then immediately delete the message.