[SystemSafety] IEC TR 63069

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Thu Jan 10 09:00:03 CET 2019

On 2019-01-10 08:44 , paul cleary wrote:
> Hi,
> Could somebody please advise on the IEC 62508 MT Working Group, it’s mandate to reissue 61508 standards?
I assume you mean IEC MT 61508-1/2 (for Parts 1 and 2) and IEC MT 61508-3 (for Part 3. The other
parts are dealt with by both or either as appropriate).

Here is my understanding. Bertrand can correct it if it is not altogether correct. Neither of the MT
Convenors is on this list.

Formally, there is no maintenance task yet declared. A formal query was issued by the MT chairs in
early 2017 to the National Committees of participating member countries (there 31 of them in SC65A),
asking for maintenance suggestions (suggested problems, along with suggested solutions, on the IEC
standard comments form). A list of almost three hundred suggestions came back.

A maintenance project will be declared at some point. The mandate of the MTs will be to address
those suggestions (termed "NC comments") as well as further suggestions which come in as NC comments
on the Committee Drafts (CD) of the proposed new edition, which will be distributed to the NCs as
they are written.

At its meeting in Busan, South Korea, in October 2018, SC65A decided a target of declaring
maintenance to begin, with the issue of a CD in or around March 2020. According to a standard IEC
timetable the project will be concluded by March 2022 or thereabouts with the issue of Edition 3.

What is happening at the moment is that the MTs are meeting three or four times a year in order to
make progress on addressing the NC comments, and have been doing so for a couple of years. The idea
is to get a draft CD put together so that it may be issued at the same time as formally declaring
maintenance.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon