[SystemSafety] GPS jamming

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Thu Jul 11 15:03:11 CEST 2019

To put this further in context, I've often wondered whether the orbiting
GPS/GALILEO/GLONASS systems were ever really cost effective idea if they
can be spoofed. All that putting things into orbit does is make it
harder for criminals to take those assets out. A terrestrial system with
equivalent accuracy could, AFAI am aware, be set up using a network of
shore-stations and a fleet of Flettner ships carrying navigation
beacons. The ships get and share accurate fixes from shore stations and
cover the oceans. That would probably mean long-wave operation but so
what? With enough ships (presumably much cheaper than satellites ???)
the required redundancy ought, AFAI can see, to be achievable.

regards,

Olwen