[SystemSafety] Fetzer

Nick Tudor njt at tudorassoc.com
Wed Jun 19 19:20:50 CEST 2019

Derek old chap; re statistics/ numbers(none of which were ‘magical’) I
refer you to the previous set of postings on this list and the work done to
independently demonstrate a conservative 80% savings. The purpose of the
industrial scale experiment was to ensure we had real data....so that we
could use it in marketing. We are industrial so we would, but we had
academic rigour independently applied through the participation of 2
universities in the trials. Not soap powder marketing fluff; I hope you
still agree.

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 at 17:59, Derek M Jones <derek at knosof.co.uk> wrote:

> Rod,
>
> >> Proponents of particular languages invariably claim 'magical'
> >> properties for the language.  No evidence is ever provided, and
> >> apart from a handful of exceptions, no experimental evidence
> >> exists.  It's all personal opinion.
> >
> > Here are some SPARK project and published references:
>
> Why are you posting using a Google email account?
> Aren't you proud to work for a company that promotes the use of SPARK?
>
> > Now watch as Derek dismisses all this as soap-powder marketing... :-)
>
> Your SPARK papers often contain interesting numbers which give some
> idea of the size of the problem tackled; and yes, they often claim
> 'magical' properties for using SPARK.
>
> The number of greatest interest never appears; cost-benefit.
> Your customers seem to be companies involved in projects
> where the cost of failure is peanuts compared to the cost
> of throwing some money at finding problems, plus being able
> to identify a manageable chunk of critical code that needs
> thorough checking.
>
> Being able to identify a manageable chunk of critical code
> is crucial, simply analysing everything is rarely practical.
>
> --
> Derek M. Jones           Software analysis
> tel: +44 (0)1252 520667  blog:shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com

Nick Tudor
Tudor Associates Ltd
Mobile: +44(0)7412 074654
www.tudorassoc.com