[SystemSafety] Logical difficulties in mathematics

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Tue Mar 12 11:08:33 CET 2019

On 11/03/2019 19:42, Derek M Jones wrote:
> -<snip>-

> While the universe might be full of things to discover, the
> willingness to pay for the search is the limiting factor. Something
> that the particle physics community is having to come to terms with
> (they want money for a bigger particle collider, and there is no reason
> to believe it will discover anything significant enough to be worth
> paying the large amount of money involved):

-<snip>-

I suspect that the limiting factor will prove to be not finance but the
energy required to run particle accelerators presumed capable of testing
relevant hypotheses. And when you get to string theory, AFAI can make
out, it hasn't yet produced a single testable conjecture.

Maybe lower energy set-ups might get us farther? I gather that "cold
fusion" has been debunked but it spawned branch of physics called
"Lattice Enabled Reactions" that might offer some promise in this direction?

Just musing,

Olwen