[SystemSafety] System safety: software vs. hardware includingaircraft hardware

John Howard john.howard at ieee.org
Mon Mar 25 19:52:01 CET 2019

While I did learned a lot from this, I also have to agree that it seems to be misleading.

Example: “An airplane approaching an aerodynamic stall cannot, under any circumstances, have a tendency to go further into the stall. This is called “dynamic instability” and the only airplanes that exhibit that characteristic (fighter jets) are also fitted with ejection seats.”

With the prevalence of ‘by-wire’ flight control this statement seems to be an over simplification. Here is a bit of reading from Boeing that suggests the trend is to push the limits of dynamic stability to improve fuel efficiency. (using the 777 and MD-11 as examples)
https://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_02/textonly/fo01txt.html

(Also, I believe the fact that fighter jets have ejection seats has very little to do with their dynamic instability, and far more to do with the nature of their mission.)

-John Howard