[SystemSafety] This is getting boring (was Re: Number Theorist Fears All Published Math Is Wrong)

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Fri Nov 1 16:07:56 CET 2019

Martyn,

> In my opinion, the core of the argument in favour of the use of
> mathematically-based notations, methods and tools ("FMs") is that there
> are good theoretical arguments that FMs are far more cost-effective in
> reducing a range of defects in software-based systems than the use of
> informal notations, methods and tools and that the use of FMs does not

In other words, the maths-based folk put on a much better display of
arm waving.

> This argument is strengthened by empirical evidence from a wide range of
> projects.

Sounds interesting.  Can you point me at this evidence please.

> This is not an claim that the use of FMs leads to perfection or to a
> guarantee that all defects have been eliminated or that the use of FMs

We agree, claims of correctness are soap powder advertising.

> No complex engineering artefact can be proved free of all significant
> defects but engineers in most disciplines have learnt through experience

Again, we agree.  Please stop trying to explain away the hokus-pokus,
otherwise known as claims of correctness, as over exuberance.