[SystemSafety] 7% of mistakes in Coq proofs go undetected

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Thu Nov 14 16:54:44 CET 2019

I can't speak for Coq, but I know that universities have experimented
with the NSA security system that Rod Chapman put on line as a complete
worked example of a SPARK development. I think Rod has written up the
experiences - it will be in the archives of the safety list.

Praxis offered a free 10 year guarantee of free fixes within tight time
constraints. On CDIS, I think we had one or two claims that we had to
investigate, but mainly NATS called to ask for a re-run of the training
course on how to boot the system, because the operators hadn't had to do
it for so long they might have forgotten how.  I think Altran may still
offer something similar. Of course, if the customer were to alter the
software it would break the guarantee.

I think customers should ask their suppliers why their customers should
trust the system to support their business if the supplier doesn't trust
it enough to offer a guarantee.

Martyn