[SystemSafety] Thorough Test Suite?

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Thu Nov 14 18:24:23 CET 2019

Derek

When you say "a "thorough test suite" is one that kills all mutants (one
does not simply detect mutants).", would that be "all the mutants we
tried" or "all possible mutants"?

For the MCDC data, I was thinking of Andy German's paper "Software
Static Code Analysis Lessons Learned" in Crosstalk, November 2003. One
of his observations is:

 0.

    It is worth reiterating that when comparing RTCA DO-178B [8] Levels
    A and B code, no discernible difference was found by static code
    analysis demonstrating that static code analysis is something you
    carry out in addition to testing. Even the most extensive testing
    does not remove the anomalies found by static code analysis.
    Surprising amounts of dead code have been found in code developed to
    RTCA DO-178B Levels A and B.

 Densities found and reported ranged from 2 LoC per anomaly to 250 LoC
per anomaly.

Martyn