[SystemSafety] Thorough Test Suite?

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Thu Nov 14 19:11:20 CET 2019

Martyn,

> Yes, that's the paper. It's unfortunate that Andy German drew the
> conclusions he did, if the data was as poor as you say. Why on earth did
> he say that? Shouldn't the paper (which I think is still available on
> the www.stsc.hill.af.mil/Crosstalk website) be withdrawn and a
> correction published?  It would seem to be grossly misleading - it
> certainly misled me.

Papers rarely get withdrawn (surely you know this).

Count of papers published is a metric used for promotion and awarding
grants.  Few people agree to having a paper retracted.

Journals don't want to admit they made a mistake publishing a paper, and
don't want the hassle of an investigation.

The Retraction Watch website has plenty of details on how hard it can be
to get a paper retracted:
https://retractionwatch.com/