[SystemSafety] Putting Agile into a longer perspective

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Wed Oct 23 14:09:49 CEST 2019

On 21/10/2019 20:41, Derek M Jones wrote:

> Lots of people have proposed theories, it's a shame that none are based
> on evidence (not that there is much evidence around).

The difficulty of obtaining hard reproducible evidence of the
effectiveness of development practices is a perennial curse of software
engineering. On the other hand, there are cases where what theory
predicts should work actually turns out to do just that when it is
tried. The accomplishments of SPARK Ada are a case in point.

While, if we are trying to be strict scientists, we should prefer
evidence-based evaluations over all others, we find ourselves at a stage
where we have to try things that are theoretically reasonable simply to
generate the evidence we wish we had at the start.

On occasion, I find myself thinking Derek an insufferable Jonah when he
bangs on about evidence. That's not because he isn't on rock-solid
ground but simply because the circumstances in which software
engineering is done are simply not able - at least yet - to yield
robustly reproducible data. We are not, I think, even at the stage when
competent meta-analysis of diverse studies will actually give the
robustness of evidence we would really like. (Sadly, in this respect,
software engineering resembles the dismal science of economics.)

Yes we should always have in mind the need for evidence - but this
should not prevent us from trying out things that look promising and
then, if necessary, suspending judgement for long enough for clear
evidence to emerge. Nor, should we, get too hung up on whether evidence
is robustly reproducible in circumstances where confounding factors
virtually preclude that possibility. We have to improve software
engineering starting from where we are. If evidence is currently
lacking, we simply have to content ourselves with the long haul of
amassing it painfully slowly in adverse circumstances.

Olwen