[SystemSafety] Putting Agile into a longer perspective

Steve Tockey steve.tockey at construx.com
Sat Oct 26 20:07:10 CEST 2019

Chris,

“I will leave the faith connotations to others but . . .”

Likewise, but I hear there’s been a fair amount of debate over ‘Thou shalt
not kill’ vs. 'Thou shalt not murder’. Same basic issue.

“Therefore for any process or method to be used "religiously" is a danger.
Also you should not assume (ass + U & me )   what "everyone knows"   but
check.  That so many do not check and do fill in the gaps is a MAJOR
problem.”

One of the drivers behind the 'Formalism Set A’ that I referred to earlier
is to leave as little room as possible for people to need to make
assumptions. The semantic modeling language forces a very fine-grained
level of detail before a model can be considered complete. Remember the
example, 'A whole number not less than zero, and not more than 1234’. For
certain kinds of data requirements, the specifier is obliged to explicitly
declare any policy-mandated lower bound, upper bound, precision, and units
of measurement. Even whether the stated lower- and upper- bounds are open
intervals vs. closed intervals also needs to be explicit.

“ . . . then who do you blame?   The person who, unknowingly,  had gaps in
their specifications or the people who "fixed" them without checking with
the person doing the requirements?”

I would blame the specification language for not a) exposing the need to
be precise to that level of detail, and b) giving a concise way to declare
things at this level of precision.

“BTW it is far more cost effective to do the requirements stress testing
on paper before writing a line of code or building any hardware. To start
work that you have to rebuild or repeat is  expensive and not a good use
of time.”

You and I both believe that. And many others may say they agree. But I am
constantly amazed by the number of people who―through their actions rather
than their words―clearly demonstrate that they do not believe.

Cheers,

― steve