[SystemSafety] Number Theorist Fears All Published Math Is Wrong

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Tue Oct 29 15:02:10 CET 2019

On 2019-10-29 13:44 , Derek M Jones wrote:

> ... size and complexity leads people to suspect
> that much of [modern mathematics] contains faults:
> https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xwm54/number-theorist-fears-all-published-math-is-wrong-actually
>
> The solution being proposed?
> Use software to help check the mathematical proofs.
First, recall the story I have shared here (twice? more?) about Leslie Lamport's talk from 30 years
ago on rigor and faults in published mathematics.

Second, there are a number of ongoing projects in math-proving. The Isabelle team have an archive of
formal proofs at https://www.isa-afp.org . In a piece of well-regarded work, Georges Gonthier proved
the Four-Color Theorem using Coq. One of my last students in Bielefeld was very interested in
mathematics using ATP technology, Coq in particular, and now is working on a PhD in Erlangen with
Michael Kohlhase using another system (he was working on the Math library of Bill Farmer's IMPS
prover, but I am not sure quite what his topic is now).

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon