[SystemSafety] C for OSs

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Sun Sep 8 22:43:35 CEST 2019

All,

Forgive me for multiple postings but ideas are occurring to me in fits
and starts on this one.

Given a free hand to choose a language running on an x86_64 target for
implementing a highly concurrent critical system, I'd almost always go
for Erlang, whose track record at Ericsson is mind-bogglingly good. Of
course, the BEAM Erlang abstract machine needs a hosted environment in
which to run. One helpful development in this area is the GRiSP2,
single-board hardware abstract machine for Erlang/Elixir. This gets rid
of UNIX but still leaves dependency on an relatively low-availability
hardware.

Now, if someone could implement a true bare-metal BEAM for x86_64
(possibly only a smallish step farther?), you wouldn't need
special-purpose boards ... and I could die happy ...

... but not yet ... (in case those of you who'd be glad to see the back
of me are rubbing their hands with glee) ... :-O

Olwen