[SystemSafety] C for OSs

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Mon Sep 9 17:25:40 CEST 2019

Well, it depends on what you mean by hard real time. Erlang has been
extensively used for telecomms applications at Ericsson and they have
some highly time-critical constraints. But they're probably not what
most people would mean by hard real-time. On the other hand, I can't see
any essential technical impediment to an Erlang subset that would avoid
the need for garbage collection (though possibly requiring an abstract
machine other than BEAM)? What I'd really like to see is an Erlang
abstract machine that includes a minimal hardware abstraction layer for
small microcontroller targets (possibly a cut-down RTEMS? - I'm floating
arguably fanciful ideas here). One could live with a cut-down HAL-like
RTOS if it sat alone and didn't need to be Linux hosted.

Once again, I suggest, the availability of Linux is blinding systems
designers to simpler solutions.

Olwen