[SystemSafety] C for OSs

Roderick Chapman roderick.chapman at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 9 21:54:36 CEST 2019

On 09/09/2019 18:30, Olwen Morgan wrote:
> Agreed. Garbage collection is compatible with hard-real-time *if and
> only if* you can prove that the real-time constraints will always be
> met. I just wish that people would put more effort into developing
> garbage collectors that could meet such constraints.

There have been several efforts along these lines. I remember the
functional programming community started on this back in the late 80s.
There's was also a "Haskell on Bare Metal" effort at Portland I think.

Then there's Real-Time Java (both of 'em) which aimed, in at least some
implementations, to provide garbage collection that gave some assurance
of worst-case and/or amortized overhead. See the implementations from either

   https://www.ptc.com/en/products/developer-tools/perc

or

   https://www.aicas.com/cms/en/products

for example.

Other than gaining assurance in the real-time behaviour, there's a
related problem of gaining approval from your regulator for the GC and
runtime library components.

  - Rod